Sunday, May 20, 2012

Let's Go Fly a Kite!


I went to meet a friend for coffee and some knitting time this morning, but with a high approaching 90 on a beautiful sunny day, we just couldn’t stay inside. We went for a walk by the lake and came across a kite festival! We spent all afternoon there and got way too much sun, but it was such a great time! Events like this certainly make me LOVE Chicago.
It was such a treat to see so many families out and about. It is a beautiful day when little girls and boys are running around with cotton candy and ice cream, and daddies are working hard to fly the highest kite for their little ones.

After being out in the mid-day sun for about five hours, I was so terribly burned! My summery strapless dress gave the sun a blank canvas to paint pink. I didn’t even think about putting sunscreen on before I left home because I was planning on spending my afternoon in a café. Also, I have managed to convince myself year after year that I have olive skin that never burns. Wishful thinking perhaps? Hopefully I have learned my lesson this time so the sun doesn't have to humble me yet again. 

In trying to heal my pretty pink face before I go back to work on Monday, I have learned some pretty sweet techniques for healing sunburn apart from the standard Aloe Vera. Here are just a few of the natural remedies I found.
-Apple Cider Vinegar (What can’t this stuff do?!)
-Milk: apply with a soaked washcloth or make a paste out of dry milk and just a bit of water
-Mayonnaise
-Cucumber
-Used tea bags (When I was in college I kept my used green tea bags in the fridge to put over my eyes for a few minutes in the morning after short nights of sleep to keep the puffiness at bay)
-My absolute favorite: plain yogurt
I remembered taking soothing Aveeno baths when I was about 6 years old and had chicken pox, so I added a little oatmeal to my plain yogurt and made a facial! Hubby thinks I’m a little coo-coo bananas for putting breakfast on my face instead of in my belly, but I think it’s ingenious! After leaving it on my face for almost a half hour, the redness almost completely went away and it feels SO much better! I'm thinking I should try it all over my shoulders too!

Hopefully, we won’t have any more sunburns this summer, but if we do we’ll be ready! 

No comments:

Post a Comment